Pages

Linzer Tart Cookies


These cookies are one of my favorite treats to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee and the New York Times in the morning... or as a treat to pull out of my lunch bag during my break... or after dinner with an ice cold glass of milk.  Such fabulously delicious cookies, there truly is no wrong time of day to indulge in them!  They'll steal your heart with their raspberry goodness :)


There is an endless supply of Linzer recipes on the internet - I have neither a surplus of ingredients, nor patience, to waste my time on subpar ones though so I went on a hunt for suggestions.  My occasionally fantastical karma kicked in for a moment while I was reading one of my favorite blogs (BlueSatinSash) - I'm very big on "old family recipes" ... so when I saw these girls were baking up some Linzer Love I asked if they would be kind enough to share their recipe - and voila!  A little while later I was spoiling myself with a little cookie heaven!


(Read More to enjoy such delightful treats!)     :)







Ingredients
1 cup blanched whole almonds (about 4 ounces)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
confectioners’ sugar
10oz jar seedless raspberry jam




·      In a food processor with a knife blade attached – or in a blender at medium speed, blend almonds, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and vanilla until almonds are finely ground

·      In large bowl, stir together almond mixture, flour, baking soda, and remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar.  With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  With hand, knead until dough forms a ball.  Divide the ball into 2 pieces; wrap each in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm enough to roll.  (or, place dough in freezer 30 minutes)

·      Preheat oven to 350°F.  On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll  out 1 piece of dough to desired thickness – keep remaining dough refrigerated.  With floured cookie cutter, cut dough into as many rounds as possible, reserving trimmings.  With smaller cookie cutter cut out center of half the cookies.  Use spatula to transfer dough to an ungreased cookie sheet.  Repeat until all dough is used.

·      Bake from 10-13 minutes, or until cookies begin to lightly brown.  Transfer with spatula to wire rack to cool completely.

·      Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over cookies with cutout centers. 

·      In a small saucepan, heat jam over low heat until melted.  Spoon jam onto cookie pieces without cutouts.  Top with sugared cutout cookie.


·      *Amendments to the recipe include, using pecans instead of almonds, margarine instead of butter, and your preferred flavor of jam as opposed to raspberry.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some lovely linzer cookies. I'd be in cookie heaven too with a batch of those in my house. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete